Any questions or problems with CS2D? Maybe this page with Frequently Asked Questions can help you to find an answer!
Network and Multiplayer
- No servers in serverlist?!
- What to do about lags?
- How to play in LAN?
- Ping? Latency? Ping Timeout?
- I can't login! 'Trying to login'/'Failed to login!'
- How do I create my own server? What is a listen/dedicated server? What is rcon?
- I want to host a game. What's my IP?
- Is there a dedicated server software for CS2D?
- Nobody joins/sees my server
- My server is not in the serverlist
- I want a 24/7 online server! Why does my server disappear when I shut down my PC?
- I want to rent a server for CS2D! What is important?
You can rent an ordinary vServer (virtual private server aka VPS, this is one server computer shared by several users) with root access to host a CS2D game. You can also rent a full single user root server, but those are much more expensive (and usually a bit overpowered for a single CS2D server). There are many companies which offer servers. You can easily find them with your favorite search engine.
Here are some important things to check before buying a server
- Operating System (OS): Linux is the best choice. Debian is a good Linux distribution for CS2D servers but others should work as well. You can also use Windows servers but those are commonly more expensive and we do not recommend to use them.
- 32 or 64 bit: CS2D is a 32 bit application, so an 32 bit operating system is perfect. 64 bit can work as well, but you will probably have to install some 32 bit libraries first.
- RAM: At least 64 mb is recommended.
- Processor: At least 500 mhz (0.5 ghz) is recommended.
- Traffic: The traffic caused by your server depends on the player count, game mode and used Lua scripts. You should choose a server with at least 1 gb (= 1024 mb) free traffic included! This is just a very rough estimation - more is highly recommended!
- Disk Space (HDD): At least 50 mb free space is recommended.
- Others: Make sure that the company allows game server hosting and that UDP is NOT blocked. Also make sure that you actually have root rights. You will need those. Many servers are for webhosting only. These are NOT suitable for CS2D server hosing!
Note that traffic requirements will increase nearly potentially with the amount of players on the server. RAM, CPU and traffic requirements can increase when Lua scripts are used (depends a lot on the scripts).
Linux knowledge is required for Linux servers! Attention!
Note that good Linux knowledge is required to host a CS2D server on a real Linux server. Doing it without good knowledge is a high security risk. Others can easily hijack your server and use it distribute spam and malware if you have not enough Linux knowledge. Do not underestimate the complexity of Linux!
Special CS2D server hosting
There are also some game server hosts which offer prepared CS2D servers. Search with Google, Bing or whatever to find them!
- Can I use my webspace/website/FTP-space/Dropbox/iCloud/blog/other crazy shit to host a server?
- Why is my server only in the LAN tab? I want it to be online!
CS2D does not start
Error Messages / Crashes
- The game says that I'm a cheater/hacker! Why?
- Memory Access Violation
- Graphics Mode XXX does not work!
- Failed to load ...
Video / Graphics
- There is only a black screen?! / I just see some squares?!
- Screen resolution problems
- Blurred graphics
Audio / Sounds
Scripts / Commands
- What is Steam?
- Is Steam required to play this game?
- Can Steam-users play CS2D with Non-Steam-users?
- Are there achievements? How to get them?
- How to install/start CS2D?
- Why does CS2D not support my language? Can I translate it?
- Why does CS2D run slowy/why does it lag?
- I downloaded custom skins/sounds! How to restore the original file(s)?
- Why does my server change the map without prompting?
- How do I make a custom spraylogo?
- What is "U.S.G.N." / What is this login stuff?
- Why are there so many ads on CS2D.com!?
- Why should I play CS2D when there is CS in 3D?
- Who made CS2D? When, how and why?
- Wasn't "CS2D" called "Counter-Strike 2D" before? What the hell?!